Saturday, 4 July 2009

First sailing of the 2009 season

Finally! After much waiting and whining the first sailing has been completed. Louy came for a weekend visit so I had a sailing buddy.

Louy had a 5 hour drive to get to my place and I had the boat and everything pretty much ready when he arrived. It was too bad that I was sidetracked slightly at Home Hardware with a gabfest as that meant when I came home Louy was now waiting for me. Anyway, we hooked up the boat and headed to Kootenay Lake. It didn't take too long to get the mast and sails up, it was quite hot though, likely 29C. So when we finally got in the water, we were both pretty darn warm.

The winds were very light, which is nice for the first time out of the season. It is nice to make sure everything is working fine without having to worry about fighting high winds and waves. But these winds were a little bit too light. After a while they were pretty much non-existent. After sitting still in the water for about 10-15 minutes Louy said, crank up the motor and lets for a tour. So off we went up the east side of the lake and when we spotted Alan's cabin, we decided to beach the boat and stay for a short visit. Alan offered us a beer and we didn't quite get to finish it when the wind came up, so that was our signal to hit the water. The wind was perfect, so we headed back toward the harbour as we were about 4-5 km up the lake. Wouldn't you know it, we got about half-way back when the wind died again. We limped along for about an hour, the harbour was close, but we started the motor to get us in that last little bit.

Tear down was brutal as it was after 6 p.m. and the mosquitoes were extremely hungry. Needless to say the tear down was extremely fast, which was tough as the temperature was still quite warm. So you know what that means? A quick stop into the Sirdar pub for a cool one before heading home.

All in all, not a bad day, a little uneventful sailing wise though. At least it felt good to get on the water.


Post a Comment

<< Home